13th Stage, La Serena - Valparaíso
535 km stage including 157 km special test
Speedbrain draws positive summary of the Rally Dakar
The final stage of the Rally Dakar brought the race to a close without too many challenges. Saturday offered an interesting and changing stage, after what´s been a very demanding and often gruelling two weeks in Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. The three riders of the Speedbrain Rally Team managed to steer their bikes safely over the finish line. They are delighted to have passed this fantastic adventure together..
The race brought highs and lows for the team. Bottomline: the Speedbrain 450 Rally proved to be a highly reliable motorcycle. But the loss of the top riders Alessandro Botturi and Jeremias Israel Esquerre was a bitter blow. For Botturi disaster struck early on in a treacherous dune section, Israel suffered from a very unfortunate race accident.
The outstanding result for the Speedbrain customer race team is the runner-up spot for Bolivia´s "Chavo" Salvatierra in the production class. All three Speedbrain pilots reached the top ten overall in this category. And Speedbrain is the second best manufacturer from Europe in the Dakar 2014. With over 180 participants, two Speedbrain riders finished the race inside the top twenty overall.
"Chavo" Salvatierra: "It was a great experience, one to remember forever. We are all happy to have successfully mastered the race. Many thanks to the whole team and the sponsors. We were well supported and thanks to Speedbrain for this top bike."
Paolo Ceci: "This Dakar brought new challenges everyday. It was brutal. Now we´re celebrating our finish. I´m especially delighted having been able to up my pace considerably towards the end, scoring a top twenty result. Thanks to the whole team."
Pedro Oliviera: "I´m really glad we´re here at the finish. This ranks among the toughest things I ever had to endure. I´m totally satisfied with my 24th place overall."
Team Coordinator Ulrich Hanus: "We leave South America both in a sad and a happy mood. It´s such a shame that Alessandro Botturi and Jeremias Isreal couldn´t finish the race. They sure would have deserved it. On the other hand Chavo, Paolo and Pedro delivered fantastic performances, all scoring excellent results within their class. We´re also proud of the Speedbrain 450 Rally, a bike that without a doubt has shown its reliability. I believe that our whole package including the team spirit has worked superbly. Many thanks to the whole team, they have supported the riders outstandingly. We are looking forward to the upcoming challenges."
The team will now enjoy a few days off and recharge their batteries. But there will be another Dakar in January 2015...
Dakar 2014, Stage 13:
1. Joan Barreda (ESP, Honda) +01:59:44
2. Olivier Pain (FRA, Yamaha) +00:00:40
3. Helder Rodrigues (PRT, Honda) +00:01:23
4. Juan Pedero Garcia (ESP, Sherco) +00:01:35
5. Cyril Despres (FRA, Yamaha) 00:02:30
6. Jordi Viladoms (ESP, KTM) +00:03:31
7. Michael Metge (FRA, Yamaha) +00:04:08
8. Daniel Gouet (CHL, Honda) +00:04:17
9. Jakub Przygonski (POL, KTM) +00:05:16
10. David Casteu (FRA, KTM) +00:07:20
13. Paolo Ceci (ITA, Speedbrain) +00:09:01
22. Juan Carlos Salvatierra (BOL, Speedbrain) +00:12:20
27. Pedro Oliveira (PRT, Speedbrain) +00:13:46
Provisional overall standings:
1. Marc Coma (ESP, KTM) 54:50:53 hrs
2. Jordi Viladoms (ESP, KTM) +01:52:27
3. Olivier Pain (FRA, Yamaha) +02:00:03
4. Cyril Despres (FRA, Yamaha) +02:00:38
5. Helder Rodrigues (PRT, Honda) +02:11:09
6. Jakub Przygonski (POL, KTM) +02:31:46
7. Joan Barreda (ESP, Honda) +02:54:01
8. Daniel Gouet (CHL, Honda) +03:10:34
9. Stefan Svitko (SVK, KTM) +03:50:10
10. David Casteu (FRA, KTM) +03:58:09
14. Juan Carlos Salvatierra (BOL, Speedbrain) +06:13:42
19. Paolo Ceci (ITA, Speedbrain) +08:24:06
24. Pedro Oliveira (PRT, Speedbrain) +10:38:29